As a contrast to last week’s Summer Dessert recipe, this week I have decided to go for a true winter warmer – baked apples. However, this time, I have made this super simple recipe even better by adding a Christmas spirit with plenty of spice! Try with some Madagascan vanilla custard for a truly delicious dessert!
Ingredients (to serve 4):
- 4 cooking apples
- 6tbsp dried mixed fruit (sultanas etc.)
- 2tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 2tbsp brandy
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp cinnamon
- (optional) Madagascan vanilla custard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan
- Core the apple so that there is a hole of around 3cm width in the centre of the apple
- Place the 4 apples in a baking dish, and then add the mixed fruit to the centre of the 4 apples
- Pour the brandy over the dried fruit, and then sprinkle over the nutmeg, cinnamon and muscovado sugar
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the apples are cooked through
- Leave for around 5 minutes, then serve – they are VERY hot when they come out of the oven!
- Go wild with the spices! Perhaps trying to add things such as mixed spice.
- When coring the apples, core all the way through the apple so that the liquid/sauce can escape, and then spoon this over the apples when serving.