**UPDATE: due to a maths exam on Friday 17th, next week’s recipe will be published on Sunday 19th. Sorry for any inconvenience caused!**
Hello again everyone! This is my third weekly blog, and I hope you enjoy it. Exams are nearly over and the summer holiday is coming ever closer (although no holiday planned yet!!) so recipes should not be interrupted anymore. Many thanks to you all as well for making my Instagram reach over 5,000 followers – this is amazing and I’m glad you’re all enjoying my recipes this much! For those of you who were not aware, my Instagram account is @greencookingblog
I guess this recipe is much more ‘tame’ than some of my others, but it is still guaranteed to taste great and the addition of treacle and cocoa to this classic recipe adds a little extra excitement to the taste.
- 200g Self-raising Flour
- 200g Butter
- 200g Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 medium sized carrots
- 2tbsp black treacle
- 2tbsp cocoa
- 1tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C
- In a bowl, add the flour, butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder and vanilla extract
- Grate the carrot and add to the mixing bowl along with the treacle, cocoa, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Grease 3 cake tins using butter/oil, or alternatively use baking parchment. Then pour the mixture into all of the tins
- Place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, until cooked
- Allow to cool, then cut and serve!
- To check if the cake is cooked, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, it is cooked; if it comes out with some cake mix, it needs a bit more time to cook
- Add chocolate instead of cocoa to enhance the chocolate flavour!
- You could make some icing for the top of the cake using juice from a couple of oranges, similar to that in my Lemon Drizzle recipe